This soup is a perennial favorite because it's just as delicious hot on a wintry afternoon, as it is chilled for an outdoor summer dinner party. Spicy, sweet and earthy, this bright bowl covers all the flavor bases - while packing a serious punch of free-radical fighting vitamin A and anti-inflammatory ginger.
1 T olive oil
1 1/2 lb carrots, trimmed, peeled and chopped
1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
1 T. fresh ginger, grated
32 oz chicken or vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a dutch oven, heat olive oil.
- Add onion, sauté 2 minutes until fragrant. Add carrots and mix to combine. Cook 2 minutes longer.
- Add fresh ginger, broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then purée in a high speed blender or food processor.
- Season with salt & pepper.