Traditionally, this Israeli breakfast go-to is flavor-powered by cumin. I've been been making myself a little spice-drunk lately, so I decided to take this Mediterranean with fennel, thyme & feta. This is a hearty, no-joke meal with a great balance of carbs, protein & healthy fats. Scoop up the juices with a few slices of crusty bread. Amazing!
2 T olive oil
1 small onion, 1/2 inch dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small fennel bulb, 1/2 inch dice
1 red bell pepper, 1/2 inch dice
1 t smoked paprika
1/2 t cayenne pepper
2 t fresh thyme leaves
1 t sea salt
1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/2 cup water
freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup feta, crumbled
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add onion, fennel and bell pepper. Cook over medium-high until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and seasonings, mix thoroughly. Reduce heat and continue cooking for another 8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and water, simmer until sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Crack the eggs into the sauce. Cover and cook until whites are opaque and set, but the yolks are still runny, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon sauce and one egg into each of 4 bowls. Top with cracked pepper. Serve with toasty bread.