I hadn't played with these flavors in a while, but that has since changed - SO delicious! Cumin, paprika, ginger, cayenne & saffron plus many, many cloves of garlic. These pungent spices aren't just uniquely tasty, they improve cardiovascular function, possess antibacterial & antiviral properties, and several are natural pain relievers. Brussels & crispy chickpeas round out this protein and fiber-packed dish beautifully.
6 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
1 1/2 t cumin
1 1/2 t ground ginger
1 t sweet paprika
4 strands saffron or 1/4 t turmeric, ground
1 1/2 t sea salt
1 yellow onion, chopped small
2 T canola oil
zest of one lemon & its juice
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
1 lb Brussels sprouts, outer leaves & tough bottom trimmed
- In a gallon sized plastic bag, marinate all of the ingredients through the chicken overnight.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet with a bit of oil. It's ready when a splash of water evaporates immediately. RESERVE 1/2 t of each spice for the chickpeas.
- Add chicken and brown on both sides, 1-2 minutes each.
- Add Brussels. Don't touch for a minute to get a nice browning, flip and do the same.
- Return the chicken to the pan, toss with Brussels and bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes (or until meat registers 165 degrees)
- Meanwhile, toss chickpeas with remaining spices & place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast while chicken is cooking 10-15 at 400.
- Add chickpeas to chicken & Brussels, season to taste & enjoy!